Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas Idea: Shepherd Pouches

Well, I was hoping to have these finished by now so I wouldn't have to leave you in suspense so long. But, they are not quite finished yet. Although, I am close!

First of all, our idea this year is to try Shepherd Pouches instead of regular Christmas stockings. We were trying to think of ways to find enjoyable things for the kids, but still keep the focus more on Christ-centered messages for Christmas. We read about Shepherd Pouches from a pastor, John Piper. Basically, they hang up a pouch and do some kind of work so that they can add their earnings to their pouch. They pick a project of some kind that their money will go to. Not just a selfish project, but something that will be giving to someone in need. Then on Christmas Eve, we will take out the money to see what we have. On Christmas morning, we will have little treats of some kind in each pouch that symbolizes how it is a blessing to give to others. Anyway, we will have to work out exactly how we will tweak this idea to fit our family, but we definitely like it.

I decided to make the pouches and I used an idea from a blog. http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2007/11/advent-calendar.html They had made cute advent felt pockets. So, I just used more felt, and they really look more like envelopes. I still need to attach names and a strap of some sort. So, they should be ready to hang soon. I will let you know how this new idea works out!
Can you believe it is time for Thanksgiving and Christmas?????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea Amy! I am so proud of you guys and the way that you always keep Christ in everything that you do as a family!!! Somebody did a great job raising both of you!!! LOL

Love ya
Mom Geist

Anonymous said...

lOOKS INTERESTING. I WILL FOLLOW THIS WITH GREAT INTEREST. KEEP US POSTED, PLEASE. LOVE YOUR BLOG, AND CHECK IT EVERY DAY. JUDY

Anonymous said...

This is a really cute idea! What a wonderful alternative to the Christmas stocking and the big plus is that it puts the focus on what Christmas is all about.
Aunt Susan