Sunday, August 29, 2010

The not so pretty side of homeschool

Ok, so I shared quite a few things about why I loved homeschooling last year, but I must say, that I should also share about the not so pretty side.  Here is a list of things you might have heard during our first week of school (this includes things I might have been thinking):

  • What are we doing today?
  • What are we doing today?
  • What are we doing today?
  • What are we doing today?
  • What are we doing today? (There might be a few more of these)
  • Are we going on a field trip today?
  • Are we doing a science experiment today?
  • Are we doing art today?
  • Can we go swimming today?
  • I want to do what she is doing.
  • Mommy, I need wiped.
  • Mommy, I need wiped.
  • Mommy, I need wiped.
  • Hold on a minute, I have to change her diaper.
  • Hold on a minute, I have to change her diaper.
  • Have patience please, I need to change a diaper.
  • Mommy, I need wiped.
  • Hold on please, I need to go to the bathroom.
  • Hold on a minute, I need to go to the bathroom. (Did I mention that we were all battling a stomach bug this week?)
  • Did you flush?
  • Did you wash your hands?
  • Please make sure you are making lots of soap bubbles on your hands when you wash them.
  • I don’t think you washed your hands long enough.
  • Mommy, I need help.
  • Mommy, I need a snack.
  • Mommy, I’m hungry.
  • Can you please wait your turn.
  • Can you please put your sister down.
  • Mommy, I’m hungry.
  • “Shoes, shoes. . .” (Leighton likes to find her shoes and make you put them on her.)
  • “Boo-uh, boo-uh” (Leighton likes to find a book and plop down on your lap and make you “read” to her.”
  • “more, more” (Leighton knows where her drinks and snacks are and comes to get you and take you to those places.)
  • Hold on please.
  • Hold on while I put Leighton down for a nap.
  • Hold. . . on. . . please!
  • Remember I said you would need to be patient this week because I have to show everyone how to do everything.
  • Show patience please.
  • Stop making your sister scream.
  • When she screams like that, she is telling you to leave her alone.
  • I don’t think Leighton likes that.
  • I don’t think that sounds like you are showing love to your sister.
  • You will have to take turns.
  • You will have to take turns.
  • You will have to take turns.
  • Did you finish your morning duties yet?
  • Did you finish cleaning up yet.
  • The timer is set, please finish before the beeper goes off.
  • Are you listening to me?
  • Are you listening?
  • Did you hear what I said?
  • No I will not get your pencil for you.
  • Please don’t pick your nose.
  • Please stop sucking your thumb.
  • Mommy, I need a bandaid, I’m bleeding.
  • She hit me.
  • Is it rest time yet?
  • Please get Leighton out of the bathroom.
  • Leighton, stay out of there.
  • No, no Leighton.
  • You can’t eat that Leighton.
  • What does Leighton have in her mouth?
  • Don’t leave the scissors out or Leighton will get them.
  • Put away your markers so Leighton won’t scribble all over everything.
  • Can I play now?
  • You need to change your attitude.
  • Close the door so Leighton will not go in the bathroom.
  • Keep the gate closed so Leighton will not go up the stairs.
  • Why is Leighton still crying, she is supposed to be sleeping.
  • Leighton, go to sleep.
  • Why haven’t you finished that yet?
  • Mommy needs a nap.
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Why?
  • Because
  • Because.
  • Because.
  • Because.
  • Is it my turn yet?
  • Where is my _________.  (Lots of things might fit here.)
  • I don’t know, where did you leave it?
  • Can you pick that up please.
  • Did you spill that again?
  • I need to switch the laundry.
  • You missed a spot.
  • I forgot to get that ready.
  • I can’t find that paper.
  • I should have. . . .
  • We will have to wait until Leighton goes to bed.
  • When does preschool start??? 
  • You are making this very difficult.
  • Leighton, I can’t read when you are closing my book.
  • You need to back up so everyone can see.
  • Hey, you are in my way.
  • She pushed me.
  • I don’t want to!
  • Sorry, you have to.
  • I can’t do it.
  • Yes, you can.
  • The bible says to do everything without complaining or arguing.
  • You are not honoring God.
  • Was that obeying.
  • Did you obey the first time???
  • It does not count as obeying when you are pouting and whining.
  • It does not count as obeying when you don’t do it right away.
  • Stop arguing with me.
  • Leighton is scribbling on your calendar.
  • Leighton has a pencil.
  • Leighton is tearing that up.
  • Stop, Leighton.
  • That is annoying me.
  • “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!’
  • Please stop crying like that or you will have to go to your room.
  • No one wants to hear you crying like that.
  • Stop throwing a fit.
  • If you want to throw a fit, you will have to do that in your room.
  • Stop, You are going to hurt her. 
  • I don’t like that.
  • She’s not sharing.
  • Yes, you have to do that.
  • I asked you to ___________.
  • Sit down in that chair Leighton.
  • Sit down Leighton
  • Sit
  • SIT!
  • You have to move your cup so Leighton can’t reach it.
  • No, don’t put your toothbrush in Leighton’s mouth.
  • Stop eating Leighton’s food.
  • Kitchen is closed!
  • Can you please stop that!
  • I have a headache.

Will this help you so you won’t picture us here nicely sitting in a circle singing Kum-bah-yah each day? :-)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hahahaha! Now THIS is homeschooling! ;-)

Amber said...

Hahahahahahahaha! This was very amusing! Thanks for the peek into your day!

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaa - that is funny! And you chose to homeschool why???? (just kidding)! I know they love it and you are a great teacher!

Love
Nana