Monday, January 12, 2009

A Whole Year Until More Shots

I think I have mentioned before Jaylyn's dislike of pain. Of course, who would blame her? A week or two ago, she had her 5 year check up. You know, the one with 4 shots! Getting all those immunizations in before kids start school. Well, I think I have also mentioned that one of the first things Jaylyn associates with birthdays is shots. Most kids might think of presents or cake and candles first, but not Jaylyn. You mention her birthday and she thinks, shots! Every time! So, as her birthday was nearing, there was a lot of, "no, Jaylyn, you will not have shots today," and "no, you will not have the shots ON your birthday," and "no, Jaylyn, you will not have shots on the day of your party." She had to keep checking over and over again. She recently had her flu shot when we took Adley for her check up in November and at first I was really worried that they would have to bring in the calvary to hold her down with how she was acting at home before we left. But, then somehow she decided she would be brave and she actually WAS! She did not cry. She was certainly worried and not excited, but she did not cry. Well, this time, she was convinced that these shots were worse than flu shots. She really did try to be brave, but she knew there would be more than one. Little did she know there would be 4. Ugh. So, at first, she braced her arms inside her shirt so I could not get them out and she began to pour out those tears! (And some "screaming") I think the threats from the nurse that someone else would have to come and hold her down helped and she did control herself. But, she was so scared. I did feel bad for the poor girl, but we promised the nurse would go as fast as she could. She thought it was over after the first 2 in her right arm, but then when we turned her around to do her other arm, she really panicked. But, then let us continue. So, the shots are over and she repeatedly reminds me each day that she will not have shots for a long time now!! This morning, I went in to wake her up and she sat up in bed and said, "I won't have to have another flu shot for a long time!" I said, "Wow, were you dreaming about shots too?" She said, "Yes, just flu shots." Funny girl. I know many of us have fears. Of course, Jaylyn has more than most people. I will be praying for this girl that she will trust in the Lord and turn those fears over to Him. Then I think, what silly things do I continually dwell on or fret about that God is trying to tell me to just let go? Jaylyn thinks shots are a big deal. Enough to dream about. There might be some things that I imagine are big too. But, to God. . . He is bigger!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no - this made me sad! I guess being a Nurse or Doctor when she grows up is out of the question! Give her a big kiss or me!

Love
Nana

Amber said...

I don't know, Debbie...when you are the doctor/nurse you are the one inflicting the pain onto others...there may still be hope for those professions! :) I'm glad Jaylyn has a loooong time before those next shots! :)

Anonymous said...

Luke just got his 2-month shots yesterday. Lydia and I left the exam room while Keith stayed in the room for the shots. I can't take it. This post makes me dread the 5-year-old shots too!