Thursday, January 10, 2008

Children's Christian Music Rant

For Christmas, we bought Jaylyn a cd called "The Kingdom Kidz Club, Vol. 1". If you happen to have ever talked with me about children's music, you will know that I think most of it really stinks! I just don't understand why musicians are behind in the times when it comes to scriptural/christian music for children. Now, I would say some of the best music for children is usually the praise and worship song remake cds. There are quite a few versions of those that I think are very good quality and enjoyable for adults to listen to. There is a "Praise Baby" Collection that I like that has a DVD format similar to Baby Einsteins along with the music. It is a little slower tempo and lullaby like, but sounds nice for the little ones. I can still remember one of the first songs Jaylyn started singing was, "Holy, Holy, Holy". (A nice remake version.) It was one of the most precious things I have ever heard. Anyway, if you want to find any original music written for kids, there is some slim pickings! I have looked, A LOT, for children's choir and VBS and just for Jaylyn. Maybe I'm missing it? But it should not be hiding! I know I am probably pickier than many and preschoolers will be pretty forgiving and find enjoyment in really cheesy songs, but from experience, once they get a little older, they really are able to tell the difference.

Well, the Kingdom Kidz Club cd is good. It still is definitely not my favorite in some aspects. What I love is that this one cd covers some really great scriptural content that I definitely want Jaylyn to learn. They are written well and are fun. Gloria Gaither gives the mom/songwriter a good recommendation. It included a lanyard and pins she could earn for learning the songs and scripture reference. Some of them still sound kind of hoky to me, so I'm not sure that some of the older kids would like all of the songs, but Jaylyn seems to like listening and singing along. The lady does sing lovely, but not my favorite style. One song that I think is pretty good is "The Bible Boogie Blues". It covers the whole Bible in one song! It explains everything - that the Bible has 2 testaments, total number of books, number in old, number in new, how many old testaments are prophets, poetry, law, etc., all of the names of the old and all of the names of the new. That is impressive. "Come Follow Me" cracks me up because Jaylyn can sing along to the first part of the phrase and misses the ending. She sings, "Jesus said, 'Come follow me and I will make you da da da dee." The cd also includes a song with all 10 commandments, a song with all the disciples, a song about the armor of God, a song with all of the fruits of the spirit and a few other well-known scripture passages. The other nice thing is that all of the songs include her singing the scripture reference so they will know where to find the disciples and 10 commandments, etc. Another one that makes me laugh is "Trust in the Lord/God's Telephone Number". Jaylyn really got a kick out of them saying God's telephone number - Jeremiah 33:3. I tried to explain it to her. But, she asked what God's address was. So, even though I have many personal criticisms regarding this cd, it is a nice cd to have.

So, that ends my rant about children's music and "The Kingdom Kidz Club".

No comments: